Saturday, December 17, 2011

In the Beginning . . .

I'm not sure whether to start with today and work backwards or start with Ethan's "birth"-day and work forward because neither way does full justice to the miracle we've experienced.  It is not a linear story.  It spans generations and time.  This is Ethan's birth story told by me, his awestruck mother, Angela Limthong.

Borphan and I met in high school in 2001 and were married in 2006.  We are best friends and firmly believe that it is our job to drive each other crazy nearly every day.  He is my soulmate and understands me on many levels. After many fulfilling adventures to other states and countries, in 2008 we decided we would like to start a family.  For some reason, we thought this was in our control.  It was not.  Months turned into years and we began to think we may never conceive a child of our own.  We purchased ovulation test strips, spent more time with our neices and nephews, and dreamt aloud about what kind of parents we would be and how we'd like to raise our children  . . . one day.  When my monthly cycle came, as it did predictably, I cried.  I prayed to God.  What fruit did we have to show for all our years of loving one another? Didn't we deserve a child to laugh and play with?  Someone who resembled us, to bring us so much joy.  It seemed it would never happen.  Borphan started nursing school and took a lower paying job in the hospital to get some experience with patient care. I turned my focus to eating clean and registered to compete in a women's triathlon.  We put our dream of starting a family somewhere on a back burner.  On New Year's Day, 2011, Borphan proudly announced that he would get me pregnant this year.  It was his New Year's resolution.  I rolled my eyes, said something like "Ha! Yeah right." and carried on.

He threw me a surprise 28th birthday party two weeks later, converting an area of our home into a dance room.  I had confided in him months before that I loved to dance and didn't think we did enough of it.  Our friends mingled.  Eventhough Borphan worked 12 hours that day, he came home and entertained everyone like he had so much energy to give.  Before the evening was over, he took my hand and we slow danced to "Marry Me" by Train.  It was the most special and thoughtful thing he had ever done for me, and hardly cost a thing.  I thought to myself how loving Borphan was and how lucky I was to walk through life with him.  (Oh gosh, sorry this is so sappy!  But I'm guessing you see where this night was headed?)

Fast-forward to February:  Valentine's Day was approaching us and I had been feeling physically exhausted.  I'd been following a strict physical training plan and eating an anti-inflammatory diet full of plant foods and low on refined sugars, starches and animal products. I had eaten this way already for over over six weeks but suddenly my body was putting on the brakes.  I was TIRRRED.  I told friends at work that I must be coming down with a cold; I just felt drained.  Where I had been eating lean meat and fish with lot of salad and beans, I was suddenly craving steak and orange juice.  I was nauseated two mornings in a row, and decided it was time to take yet another pregnancy test (by this time I had seen so many negative test strips that I dreaded seeing another).  It was positive! We couldn't believe it! We were finally pregnant!

Ethan's cousin, Jasmine, makes customized baby crowns
12.17.11

No comments:

Post a Comment